Friday, June 17, 2011

Block for Sendai

I finally finished my block for Sendai. It is one I had started a long time ago and never finished. I removed some of the beads and replaced them with French knots, since all the beads had to be double stitched on. Here it is, along with some closeups.

People don't seem to use the bullion-tipped lazy daisy stitch much, but I really like it.

Here is a closeup of the fan. I was so proud of myself because I didn't have any sequins the right size (small) and the right color for the upper part of the fan. So I made my own by punching them out of (ironed) angelina fiber. I used a one eighth inch hole punch. When my hole punch started getting dull, I just punched a bunch of holes in some 600 grade sandpaper and it sharpened right up. But too much pride is not good for anyone and I was not really happy with the crooked-ness of the fan, but it's getting down to the wire, timewise, so I don't have time to fix it.

These turquoise ribbon flowers are a stitch I made up, called the Redderson Ruffle. Directions for working this stitch are here.

I saw these "seed pods" on another CQ block a long time ago and fell in love with them. They are fun to scatter around and I needed to bring some more yellow/gold up into that area. Unfortunately the seam above the dashed line will not make it into the block because of size restraints.

I feel so blessed to be able to participate in this CQ block for Japan. It is sent with many well wishes and prayers for those in Japan...

Happy Stitching!