Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A bad bad day

It's only Tuesday and already it's been a horrible week. Yesterday was the first day of Vacation Bible School and my daughters and I are helping out all this week. I went outside to get the paper in the morning, came in and closed the garage. I read the paper and ate breakfast. Then I heard my daughter open the front door. Our neighbor was walking her dog and noticed that our cat Frisky's head was caught under the garage door! She had tried to get into the garage when the door was only 4-5" inches off the ground and it had closed on her neck. My daughter started screaming and was freaking out. We called the vet and they said we could bring her right in. (Of course this was just when we were supposed to be at the church) Frisky was just laying on her side. We slide a cardboard box lid under her, trying not to move her much and took her to the vet. The whole way there, she purred - it was very strange.

The doctor took an x-ray and her neck was not broken. But she can't walk and has no reponse in her front legs. I went to VBS, but didn't go into any of the classrooms; I was just too sad.

Frisky frequently interrupts the garage door opening or closing, so we always have to wait to see if the door will actually finish its journey. When I got the paper I had seen her sitting outside the door and waited to see if she was going to dart in. But my car was there, so I couldn't see everything. I heard the door complete its journey and went inside. She layed there for about 30 minutes, struggling to get free. I guess she thought it would always stop for her. I feel so bad. The vet had told us if her neck was broken it was "Goodbye". If we have to put her to sleep, this will tear up my daughter so badly - it is essentially her cat. I'm sorry to share such a bad story, but I am just so distressed....

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'll be praying, Lin.

Lil said...

What a terrible thing to happen. I hope kitty will be fine. please keep us posted, would you?

Susan said...

Oh, how sad! If the x-ray shows no broken neck, maybe the nerves will repair themselves in a little while. Your poor daughter, and you, too!

Marty52 said...

Oh, Lin, I'm so sorry your kitty was hurt... I'll be thinking of you and hoping your kitty pulls out and is good as new very soon. Take care!

Cat said...

My fearless cat almost always goes and sits under the door as it starts to lower - then it stops and the light starts flashing and I yell "Shady!" I never thought of a cat getting caught.

Poor kitty, I hope she gains movement in her legs. Maybe as Susan said, the nerves will repair. Kitty prayers going up!

Ati said...

Oh Lynne what a sad story. Try to not feel quilty, cat's always cross the street right in front of a car and do the most unusual things all the time.
Hope all goes well, there is a saying that a cat has 9 lives....

Sandie said...

What an awful experience for you Lin, do hope all is okay. Will be sending positive thoughts your way.

Magpie Sue said...

Oh I hope things have improved since you posted this. The fact that you haven't posted makes me a little fearful. On the other hand, no news is good news so they say. Holding good thoughts for all involved...