Friday, January 11, 2008

Musings


Just thought I'd share a pic of one of the Asian buttons I have...
I was at work the other night (Borders) and looked at a Canadian magazine: Needle Pulling Thread. I had never seen it before. There was an article about creativity - the author surmising that you recharge your creativity when you're not doing anything purposely creative, but just daydreaming. I thought this was an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's true. When I go looking around on the net at the various pix of the things people have created, I become very inspired. But then I suppose you could say the same thing about laying under a tree looking up at the clouds, I don't know...

I've been giving SharonB's TIF challenge some thought, also. When thinking about a person I admire, my first thought was my mother. Although she's been gone for about 15 years, I still remember so many things about her that I admired. She had what I always called "moxy". When she was a teenager, if she had a giant pimple on the end of her nose, she didn't care - she just wanted to go out and have fun. (I tended to want to go hide in a closet until it disappeared. If it took a month, well, ok...) But it's one of the things I really liked about her. Every time she visited, she would always try to tell me what to do, like how to drive, how I should wait on my husband (shudder), etc. I could just say, "Mom, I've been driving for 10 years now, I think I know how to do it by now." and she would just say OK, without any underlying guilt-making attitude, without getting her feelings hurt, etc. She always said what she thought, so that communication really went on, not just everyone hiding their feelings. That's one thing my friends say they like about me - that I am open and honest. The only thing is, that I feel I'm definitely lacking in diplomacy - it's hard to balance both.
Anyway, I've started stitching something for TIF, but it's just too small and is driving me crazy, so I'm going to restart on a larger scale so I can actually have some fun with it. Pix next time.
Happy Stitching,
~Lin Moon

1 comment:

Susan said...

Your mother sounds like someone I would have liked a lot! Do I have her picture for my Moms cq quilt? She belongs! Yes, I've been accused of having no tact. =)