Friday, April 20, 2007

Good Book




This is not a new book (copyright 2005), but it is new to me. I discovered it at JoAnn's and was interested in it because I wanted a creative border for my Art Nouveau button (see below). I really like this book - it shows a lot of different edgings that can be used around cameos or buttons. I had some trouble with the instructions for the twisted edging I did, but was able to adapt the directions just slightly to make the final product look a little nicer.

The nice thing is that someone else (Jamie Cloud Eakin) figured out how to do things like make a circle appear more oval with the addition of an edging, make a beaded ruffle around a button, make beaded "lace" around a cabachon or button, make a twisted edging that turns into a looped pendant at the bottom - I just love all the ideas.





On a side note, I also found the SRE Bible there that has been talked about so much. I perused it and frankly, I was unimpressed. The motifs were nice, but I thought a lot of the stitching looked kind of sloppy. Just my opinion.....

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I totally agree with your opinion of the SRE Bible. But I know there are ladies who love it. I prefer the A-Z books.
Melissa

Susan said...

Thanks for the close-up of the button and bead piece you used in the block.

I use the SRE Bible all the time. I probably wouldn't have spent the money for it, but it was a gift, and I use it for inspiration a lot.

crazyQstitcher said...

Your button is inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Maureen

Timaree said...

I've got this cab book too. I liked the rope edge. I altered it for my needs. Isn't that what makes these books so great. I have quite a few books for the techniques- hardly ever make a copy of their projects- just alter their ideas for a project I already had in mind. Like someone once said "why reinvent the wheel".

Bama G'ma said...

Lovely! (Montgomery, AL)