Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Washington DC

Well,
I've been away from the computer for awhile - vacationing to Washington, DC and doing crafts at Vacation Bible School. While in DC, I went to Smithsonian's Renwick Museum. This is a picture of a quilt there, made by Jane Burch Cochran. Isn't it wild? - buttons sewn everywhere! Click to enlarge and you can see some of the detail. (I tried to take a detail pic of it, but it came out blurry.)


I saw this quilt in a shop there - it had so many different fabrics in it! (Sorry about the lamp hanging in the way) It was so beautiful.


The Peacock Room was fabulous:


I just loved the patterns on this door.


Everything at the Renwick was so special, even the beautiful lace curtains at the windows.


This was at another museum - can you imagine having such opulence at your windows at home?

2 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for some great pics from your vacation. It looks like you had a lot of inspiration for stitching. I really love that window treatment, but no, I can't imagine it in my house - or cleaning it. =)

Cyber Fyber said...

Hi!
Today I'm creating the labels for the ATCs in the upcoming CYBER FYBER exhibition. This brought me by your wonderful blog, of course. My elder son went to the Kirov Academy of Ballet in Washington, DC for six years. The Renwick is one of my favorite places. I especially like the fact that the artwork is constantly changing so no two visits are ever alike. I've never seen that amazing quilt but had seen others. Sometimes there are pieces of embroidery on display too. One of my other favorite places is Whistler's Peacock Room...but it isn't in the Renwick! It's in the Sackler! When Mathias graduated from the Kirov I tried to "say good-bye" to this room and just ended up in tears. It is so beautiful that I couldn't bear not to know if or when I'd be able to return. Finally, I told my husband that was absolutely had to continue traveling back to DC every year...at least once! Happily, we have. Thanks so much for sharing these images. If you get the opportunity to visit DC again....try the American Museum/Portrait Gallery. There's a piece on the second floor called MVSVEM by David Beck (I think?) which is absolutely unbelievable!
Susan
PS Thanks for trading with me at CYBER FYBER!