Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Quilt Craft Sewing show

Last week I went to the Quilt, Craft and Sewing show in Pomona. I got to meet June (Grandma Ziki) and her friend Ingrid! It was so nice to meet other stitchers you only know online!

The show was fun, although I wish I had had more time to see it all that day. There were a couple of things I really wanted to get that were available there. One of them was a set up for felting(by hand). You can see it in the picture below.



I got a pad, a "felter" with 8 needles, some single needles and a selection of wool roving in several colors. I have seen all kinds of prices for wool roving, but felt this was a good deal, as each "knot" was $2.50 and if you bought 6, you got one free. Of course, once I decided to store them in a plastic box, I read that wool can degenerate if stored this way, and that it should be stored in a paper bag or cardboard box. So I brought it home and played. I got out a piece of white felt and tried felting different yarns, the roving, Angelina fibers, ribbon, etc. The best things to felt were the most fibrous items. After I played for awhile, I took a look at the back and actually liked it better than the front, so then I started felting things to appear on the back. The back is subtle and fuzzy and to me it looks like it might be a rose. We'll see what develops....
The Back


The Front


It's always exciting to try something new - I want to make some interesting backgrounds for hand embroidery.
Happy Stitching,
Lin Moon

2 comments:

Susan said...

June and Ingrid are such good companions! I'm sure you could get into twice as much trouble with them as without them. =)

I think I like the back look, too!

Ati said...

So Nice to meet online friends in person!
Your felt looks lovely. If you make an atc of it I would love to trade with you :))