Thursday, October 19, 2006

More Beaded Cameos

Here are a few more beaded cameos I have made. The flower cameo I found in downtown LA in the bead district. It was the only one or two left and was discolored because it was so old. I had to soak it in oxy and scrub the big rose with a toothbrush to get it clean. It is sort of an odd blue to try to match with beads. I usually try to place the flower spray farthest from what I would consider the most interesting part of the cameo. That's why the flower cameo ended up with its flower spray on the bottom, instead of off to the side.


I neglected to answer the question before (sorry about that) asking me where where I get my suede or ultrasuede. One of the best purchases I ever made was at a thrift shop. I bought a white leather skirt, which was discolored on the front in a few spots. But the back of it was fine. I have cut that thing up so many times. Especially when I needed a weird color, I would just color it with a sharpie- just for small projects like this.

8 comments:

Gail said...

I have to tell you I am just in love with these cameos. They are just beautiful.
Gail

Susan said...

I absolutely love both of these cameos! I didn't even realize there *is* a bead district downtown, or we would have gone there this week!

TeresaB said...

How magnificent! Your work is lovely and you keep giving me ideas about using more beads in my CQ projects.

Virgi said...

Your cameos are amazing. I really would like to know how you made them.
They look so delicate, I love them.
I am a fan of your blog.

Have a nice stitching.

Lin Moon said...

Susan,
The "bead district" is really just 3 bead stores in downtown LA. The largest is Berger's Beads. For beads for CQ, I prefer to go to the bead shows - I think the prices are better and there's more selection. But for jewelry components, like cameos, downtown LA is worth checking out.

Lin Moon said...

Thanks so much to all of you for your nice comments.

(Virginia)
There is a link in the right-hand sidebar of my blog to the directions for making these cameos.

Julia said...

Linmoon,
I am just in love with these cameos. They are so beautiful...
The dangly beads add so much to the finished effect...
Gorgeous!

Gerry said...

Your bead work is just incredible. I've always liked cameos. It's nice to know that they are still in style!