Thursday, August 24, 2006

Miscellaneous Musings.....

No pix to share today. Instead of stitching yesterday, I spent some time with the latest issue of Quilting Arts Magazine. Always a happy day when that shows up in the mail! Their 2007 calendar challenge is described somewhat like: make a quilt inspired by the setting, a character or a mood in a favorite fiction book. This just seems amazingly difficult to me. There's a big difference between making something beautiful and evoking a mood. I would like to do something like this, but don't even know how to start thinking about it. Do you truly pick a book you love and go from there? (You can't use any images or phrases from the book because of copyrights) Or do you choose a technique or an idea that you think you could do and find a book to match? I guess this really puts me in the category of craftsperson, not artist. Of course I have no training in the arts, but I'd really like to know how to traverse this path from A(book) to B(idea).

The other thing I spent yesterday doing was pouring through Carol Sample's book, looking for that trellis pattern. At first I thought it would be impossible to find. But then I realized that I had never actually read the book, just looked at the pictures, which is a bad habit of mine. Her categorization of all the stitch types is so left-brain for such a right brain activity as making these beautiful stitches! I was surprised.

On a humorous note, I was thinking back to when I was embroidering my jeans as a teenager in the 70s. I didn't know the stem stitch, so did a lot of outlining of motifs in backstitch. I didn't like the way the outline looked chopped up, so I would go back and whip the outline to make it look better. I thought I had invented the whipped backstitch! The funny thing is, though, that I didn't think it was a good thing, I just thought of it as "cheating" to get my final motif to look better. Teenagers.....

Today I was teaching my daughter how to sew (she's 13). We are making a stuffed dragon. It has felt spines on its back that had to be sewn together. I showed her the usual method - stitch to the point, needle-down, rotate and continue stitching. There were about 10 of these spines. I sometimes forget she's still a child. Every time she got to the "rotate" part, she would sing out "Wheeeeeee!”

We had to cut off a few spines after they were sewn together. She loved ripping out some of the stitches, (she has a totally different attitude toward the seam ripper than I do) then played with this little thing that was left. Sometimes it was a bird, sometimes a plane, sometimes a pterodactyl, sometimes an elephant. Later she spent 2 hours cutting minute pieces of felt for legs, attaching sequined fabric on its back and sewing on 2 sequin eyes. Now she has this cute little 3" dragon that she's so proud of! Kids are amazing....

2 comments:

Iris said...

Did you find the trellis pattern? Look on page 145 it is stitched on the fan block. The basic pattern is on page 149 at the bottom of the page. Like you I've only read part of the book...I was just so excited with the patterns that I forgot to finish reading!

Happy stitching,
Iris Susan

Lin Moon said...

Thanks, Iris. I did find it on the block, but wondered where it was diagrammed. I wonder why those pictures are all in black & white; it seems such a shame....