Friday, August 11, 2006

Old Embroidery?
















I was rooting through my closet in the back, through the clothes I rarely wear & came across this shirt I embroidered as a teenager. The chain stitches are only about an eighth of an inch long! I could never do this now - the old eyes just wouldn't be able to handle it. When I was 16, I used to embroider jeans patches. I would go with my mom to antique shows (she was a dealer) and put my patches in a basket on her table and charge - get this - one dollar each!

I wonder how old others were when they first began to stitch and who taught them. Anyone else still have some oldies-but-goodies?

1 comment:

Susan said...

No one ever really taught me. It was what I observed before my mother died, and what I found in books. Monkey see - Monkey do. =)

That's a great patch! It brought to mind something I haven't thought about in years! I embroidered a huge Indian Chief on the back of a denim shirt for my DH when we were in our late 20s. That was probably my first attempt at actually doing some of what I'd seen my mother do - and I left it at that for a long time. He loved that shirt!